I am currently living in a temporary apartment for a couple of months without a fridge or freezer of any kind. I have been eating out to compensate for it but those are not the best food choices as I cannot control what i.e. the meat is fried in etc. and it also is expensive.
Do you have any tips for what kind of paleo foods I could store/keep in the apartment to eat on a daily basis that are paleo/primal? Beef jerky and pemmican are okay on a trip but I am looking for something more to eat on a normal daily basis.
I have a balcony and highs are here around 10 degrees Celsius, this might be enough for some food items?
Get Free Paleo Recipes Instantly
I'm considering going fridge-less when we eventually build a house and go off-grid. All these things might not work for your particular situation, so take what you want from it.
- meat is eaten the day you get it from the store/farm/forest (leftovers can be left in the pot for one day to be reheated
- canned wild fish: salmon, sardines, tuna
- meal worms or other "farmable" insects
- eggs will keep unrefrigerated for a week
- butter will keep in a butter crock
- herb garden during the growing season/dried herbs in winter (or a window garden)
- potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squash, apples, rice, dried beans, dried corn in the pantry
- foraged food
- greens (dandelions, plantain, purslane, sorrel, lamb's quarters, etc.)
- dried fruit
- canned veggies (tomato sauce, jellies, pickles, etc.)
How about buying a small fridge.
My parents aren't paleo but live on a farm and are working toward being off-grid. The only thing I would add to the comments above is to grow anything you can in small pots. I know this doesn't work for some things compared to the farm, but I remember many meals not requiring opening the fridge because of having our pantry as well as our own fruits, vegetables, etc.
Eggs don't need refrigeration if they are fresh. Otherwise, try to get your meat daily, canned tuna or other fishes work too. The balcony sounds nice - not sure what 10 C is - around the 40s F?
its winter just use your car as a fridge
A cooler with ice can at least keep your leftovers cool for a few days.
Most fruits and vegetables keep reasonably well without refrigeration. If you do protein powder, nuts/seeds, or canned foods (chicken, salmon, coconut milk, etc.) you can get indefinitely without a fridge.
Since starting paleo my fridge is more or less empty. There is some lard, coconut oil, fish oil ... what else ... walking in the citchen ... coming back ... NOTHING ELSE. The only thing that has to be cooled is the fish oil. Telling me that fish oil is not paleo at all. I shop daily for my meat and the vegetables, cook it, eat it. No fridge needed.
Maybe buy some frozen food such as frozen salmon :)