We bought a coconut at the grocery store today - well, my 11-yr-old daughter did. I didn't pay too much attention just supervised the drilling of the shell at home. Turns out, there was an almost invisible crack on the 'nut already, and not only was the thing devoid of a single drop of coconut 'milk', the flesh inside was covered with mold. Beyond her disappointment, my daughter is worried because she probably inhaled some of the mold in the process (she tried to 'drink' it through a straw before she realized it was 'empty'!). I'm told her not to worry, but to let me know if she had ANY coughing, sore throat, headache, etc.
Other than some lab tests on a sample of the stuff, is there anyway to find out if she's inhaled something toxic?
Are you talking about a young coconut or a mature coconut? Coconuts are filled with water so you would not find milk in there. When you grate the meat and blend it with water and strain the resulting liquid from pulp, that is what's called "coconut milk". Usually Asian stores have two "kinds" of young coconut. One is the most common where they shave the green outer layer leaving white "top shaped" coconut which is usually sprayed with alot of chemicals(formaldehyde I think), and the other is the young coconut without the outer green layer shaved off. I would'nt worry too much about the mold. If what you are talking about is a mature coconut, next time shake it at the store to see if theres alot of liquid inside (or if there isn't) and you should be able to tell which one is too ripe(with no liquid). Choose a coconut with alot of liquid inside. Make sure there are no cracks and check the "eyes" if they are wet. Well hope this helps you out.