I brewed my first batch of kombucha and it's really good, looks good, tastes good. I have had maybe 1/4 -1/2 cup a day with a lot of water.
I started to develop really bad pain in my mid to lower abdomen, in the lower intestines. I also became depressed. I stopped drinking the tea and it stopped.
I really want to continue as I know the health benefits are amazing, and I was feeling benefits as well, sleeping better, interstitial bladder issues lessened.
is it possible its just die off?
Even on GAPS they say to start with 1 teaspoon of any fermented product, in broth or other liquid (water, tea) and gradually work up over time to a tablespoon etc.
I don't know much about how to know if its gone bad other than the obvious.
I'm thinking bacterial or fungal contamination. Could be a little bit of E.coli, S.aureus, Candida, or something like that got up in your mix and did some growing. Then you drank the pathogen and it caused gut inflammation.
That's my theory. It's easy to make wonky batches of kombucha at home. My first attempt at brewing the 'booch resulted in a moldy jar of tea.