The short answer is, there are a few modifications to a paleo diet that a type 2 should bear in mind:
1) if on medication, be more diligent about checking BG levels throughout the day. When the numbers have dropped by at least 20 points and have leveled there, a medication change is in order.
2) if in insulin or oral meds that can cause a BG low, BE VERY DILIGENT about checking BG levels! That regimen must be carefully monitored to avoid severe lows.
3) exercise helps insulin sensitivity and metabolism. going HIIT too soon (or too hard) can make for a high number post exercise (due to cortisol production). Scaling exercise is really important.
4) rest is very important to help keep insulin sensitivity up, excess inflamation down, and help reduce hunger and cravings. Early to bed is better than sleeping in.
Going strict paleo right off the bat will most likely cause headaches and severe cravings and sometimes excess hunger. If you can muster through, go for it! If the cravings/hunger are severe, try 5-6 mini meals for a few weeks,then cut out one of those meals each week (adjusting calories for other meals or PWO nutrition accordingly), until your hunger has reset.
There are a few blogs of other peoples' experiences in the blogsphere. The reality is that your friend's type 2 experience will be a little different than everyone else's and does depend on how well managed the disease is, how much/many meds are being taken, obesity, other co-morbid conditions. Some people reverse the disease in as little as 30 days, others need 6 months or more.
Paleo can help Type 2 disappear.
Best way to start:
- get rid of processed foods. all of them
- get rid of grains
- get rid of legumes
- get rid of added sugars, then reduce all sugar
- Resist the urge to try to create paleo-substitutes for things like pasta, pancakes, etc. It will just help the cravings to return.
Cook at home, and plan what to order in advance of going out, including making wiser choices about restaurants.
The reward? You'll be better looking, will weigh less, will look healthier (skin, hair, nails), sleep better (and less), all the while reversing the disease.