I switched to paleo 7 days ago, I've been slightly constipated (no discomfort but only going once every two days.
Tonight I cheated and had too much dark chocolate and felt sick in the stomach straight away. Around 2 hours latter I had to rush to the bathroom. I was under the belief that it takes approx 14 hours for food to pass through but it just seems to much of a coincidence
Has this happened to anyone else?
I find dark chocolate goes through me quickly, too. Most foods take 6 or more hours to give me a gluten reaction (diarrhea), but dark chocolate with trace amounts of gluten takes about 20 minutes to give me a gluten reaction. I suspect it's because I typically eat chocolate by itself, and it melts into a liquid fairly quickly in our digestive tract, so I bet it goes through the stomach pretty quickly. Chocolate also contains a number of stimulants, and they probably also contribute to speeding up gut motility (I would guess, at a local level, even).
(Note: I react to very small amounts of gluten, so most chocolate causes me problems. I have no problems with chocolate that has been tested and certified as containing under 3ppm gluten.)
Chocolate is one of the primary IBS triggers, in your case it might be the only one you have. With IBS you can have diarrhea in 30-120 minutes, no problem. I have IBS and also fructose malabsorption (FM). With FM I can have volcanic diarrhea in 15-30 minutes! I doubt if your diarrhea is magnesium, you would have to eat a whole lot of it for that to happen, by that time the sugar overload would be enough. Eating too much sugar causes your body to pull water in to the intestine, enough of it and you can't hold it all in.
I thought I was exception! I too react to dark chocolate (or too much of any chocolate). My diarrhoea stools seem to be 'chocolate factory'! (I don't think Aztecs would have approved)! It happens about three to fife hours with me on average. I am married to toilet when this happens and I have to go frequently until chocolate is apparently out of my system. (Yes, even had embarrassing public accident once as well). No fun.
I'm sorry but I have to say this: Aah, the joy of having a perfectly stable genetic structure...
Also, dark chocolate.
As for your issue, you can always test whether it's the chocolate or not;
fast for roughly 15 hours(or 24), then eat the same amount of chocolate you ate when the problem was caused. You get the runs? Never touch chocolate again. You don't? check a different part of your diet.
I've had the same issue with chocolate as you describe. It appears to be somewhat intermittent as I have eaten up to 100g without it happening. Dark chocolate is worst when it is combined with the wrong foods.
I now no longer eat dark chocolate because it feels very addictive and doesn't appear to be a gut friendly food in my case.
It was good while it lasted though :)