Apparently, people regard DE as some sort of miracle cure. As far as I can tell, it's basically fossilized trace minerals, but I'm pretty skeptical...any ideas? Has anyone used this? Or even heard of it? Do you think it could be a beneficial supplement for paleo?
I realize a lot of the comments are old- but FYI- the idea of DE 'cutting you up inside' is freakin ridiculous- and here's why- take the DE in your hands and rub it into your skin- Are you bleeding>????? Really- most dumb fear. :D
Food grade DE will still be abrasive to your instestinal tract. DE kills via scratching the exteriors of soft skinned critters like insect larvae. It's a big favorite for exterior garden insect control because rain will not easily destroy it. It is not actually poisonous in itself but it is definitely bad for soft flesh. I would not ingest it personally. It's just fossil shell material made mostly of silica. I am laughing at one website that said silica is the most important trace mineral to man! Yup, eating sand is just sooooo healthy! ;-) Just make sure you don't eat melted silica, which would be glass..
Food grade diatomaceous earth works in removing hookworms, a common parasitic infestation in the digestive tract. Although hookworms are benign compared to some other nasty parasites, they still increase risk of deficiencies because they are blood suckers. I'm speaking from experience, I put some of the food grade diatomaceous earth in water and drank it. It's safe and I didn't suffer, the worms were gone.
I have used it sucessfully to get rid of a bedbug infestation that a pest control company couldn't get rid of in over six visits! Don't want to say what company, but it rhymes with Borkin.
Diatomaceous earth basically cuts into the bugs as they walk over it, they dehydrate and die. You have to be careful not to breath it in or get in your eyes. Not sure I would want to swallow it either.
I have had some mixed in with water before, taste like chalky water..., and I occasionally use it on my dogs as flea treatment or around the house to kill ants. It works by causing cuts in the exoskeleton of insects which leads to them bleeding to death or becoming dehydrated I as best I understand. For nutrition I think that it is touted as a way to kill parasites in your GI tract, but I always thought that if it cuts parasites it is probably cutting me as well... Don't really know for sure but thought I'd share that, Yes there are people out here that have heard of it...
To avoid thirst or constipation just put a heaping tbsp. in your 1 gallon water jug and let it settle. You still get the silica which is great for your skin, hair and nails. It settles in about an hour. Just drink the water and not the actual DE that sinks to the bottom. If you don't have a problem with constipation or crazy thirst, just shake gently and drink it all. Use FOOD GRADE only! A 3 lb container will last you 6 months or more.
I just started taking it about 3-4 wks ago. So far, not a negative side effect, not a one! I was pretty toxic inside (from YEARS of unhealthy/pure junk food and grease eating). I have bad skin because of it-prematurely (at 26 I started getting wrinkles). I know that no visible imrovements should be seen right away, but I believe that afer a few mos. of being on it, things will start to change (someone else had a similar story and it changed her skin). Supposedly that much silica can even get rid of sun damage. We'll see, but overall, everything is great!
I used it for a couple of months, and almost all my joint pain went away, and my skin got wonderfully soft feeling. One caution, the recommended dose of 2 heaping tbs per day gave me an itch in the anus that set me up for a few months of a tiresome little fungal infection that was very hard to get rid of. I don't think the rash thing is typical, fyi; it was just around in the household at the time.
I like the suggestion to let it set in the water for that reason.