We had a great "top five paleo grocery staples" question a few months back. Recently, I've had to add a few supplements into my regiment to offset a possible copper toxicity. It got me wondering about what else I could be lacking (or overdoing...).
What are y'alls most essential supplements and why?
For me, I am most keen on always including:
- Vitamin D - I have yet to see a negative study about the D.
- A decent multi - though they have been downplayed, I see no problem in taking one. Worst come to worst, I pee out what isn't absorbed :)
- Zinc - shown to improve immune system and helps to offset copper toxicities
- Biotin - back when I was a vegetarian and lacking a lot of protein (superb for lucious hair), I added biotin and saw great results... after three months. Required a lot of patience!
- B Complex - again, helpful for the copper
The paleolithic diet is fantastic at covering the essentials, but it is frustrating to think you couldn't be at optimal health because of an itty-bitty supplement you forgot to take occasionally!