I'm female, mid 20s, ~100 lbs, lean and fit. I eat very well, no processed foods or sugar, lots of proteins and fats and veggies, drink at least 2 liters of water a day, work out 5 days a week, eat paleo about 95% of the time (the other 5% being the occasional yogurt).
I usually have a BM every day after breakfast and coffee / tea. My chronic constipation started two weeks ago when I came back from a weekend vacation and since then I've only gone twice, and both times were difficult and incomplete BMs. It's never been this bad.
There hasn't been any changes in diet, though on my trip I did eat some dim sum which was the first time I had eaten anything with a significant amount of flour / gluten in a long, long time. My morning breakfast usually consists of a kimchi omelette and tea, and lunch and dinner will be protein and veggies. The only change I can think of is that I have started to eat more peas, but that happened after I became irregular. I also had started drinking coffee every morning a couple months ago, but I stopped that a few days after I became irregular as well.
Things I've tried: eating prunes (I've been eating like 10-15 a day the past week with no luck) and papaya, eating more pickled stuff like beets and pickles, eating more yogurt and probiotic drinks, eating more coconut oil and olive oil, cutting down on protein and upping my veggie intake even more, walking more, and squatting on the toilet.
Nothing has helped so far. I just took two Ducolax stool softeners in hopes that I'll go tomorrow. I really would like to avoid resorting to taking a laxative, because I'm worried about forming laxative dependency.
My fear is that this seemingly came out of nowhere, and even if I am able to have a BM tomorrow I'm afraid it may happen again despite my healthy diet. It's causing me a lot of anxiety and it's interfering with my life - I feel so uncomfortable that I haven't gone out and my workouts have decreased - I've had to stop plyo and just do weight training. Could it be the coffee? Something I ate on vacation that screwed up my digestion? Are the peas making it worse? Is it psychological? Now every morning when I eat breakfast I stress out because I want to go but I can't.
There is a lot of conflicting information out there. Eat more fiber, reduce fat. Less fiber, more fat. Fiber isn't important, you need more probiotics. Etc.
I've never been constipated for this long before. So what really works for you to stay regular and what tips do you have? What do you do that works for you when you get constipated?
* EDIT- Just wanted to update on my pooping situation and hopefully help anyone who might be in the same situation as I was. I was able go last week!! The night before the big event happened (teehee) I took 2 Dulcolax, coconut oil, had some salmon sashimi and papaya. The morning that I pooped, I had taken a tablespoon of olive oil and eaten an omelette with some black tea for breakfast. After breakfast I felt the urge to go, and it was successful! The next few days I actually lowered my fiber intake. I've started eating more salmon (cooked and uncooked), and taking a tablespoon of olive oil before making and eating my breakfast (one fried egg, sunny side up) in the mornings. I've also started mixing ground flaxseed and cocoa powder in with a small serving of regular yogurt and having that daily. The past 7 days have been regular with a BM every morning, thank god. I upped my water intake slightly as well, from 2.2 L to about 3 L / day.
Things I've learned from doing hours of research on the web: - Magnesium is important for bowel movements. Something about it helping to draw water into the intestines. Almonds are a good source of magnesium, as is cocoa powder. I had stopped eating almonds around the same time this happened, but I'm not sure if it's a correlation or causation. Nonetheless, I'm still not eating almonds but I've been consuming more cocoa powder and 99% chocolate, and I've been regular. - Good fats are important for bowel movements as well. Apparently bile is the body's "natural laxative", and consuming olive oil stimulates bile flow. Good thing I love the taste of straight up olive oil.
I still haven't pinpointed the reason why this case of acute constipation popped up. Was it something I ate? Was it caused by subconscious stress / anxiety? All I know is that it was very mentally and physically distressing. It was mentally distressing because I hadn't changed my diet and I was eating very well, and I couldn't understand why my body just decided to stop functioning properly for no apparently reason. It was physically distressing because I looked ridiculously preggers, and I couldn't work out because it was so uncomfortable. Sometimes, sh*t just happens I guess (pun very much intended).
So I hope this helps others who may be encountering this problem! :)