so I have had pretty chronic nasal congestion for as long as I can remember (am in my early twenties).
I was hoping going mostly paleo* would clear it up, but to no avail.
In the interest of 80/20 and the pareto principle, etc., are there SPECIFIC foods/allergies that may be causing the congestion. i.e. do you have SPECIFIC foods/habits that you would eliminate (or add)?
Keep in mind (this gets a little gross):
- it's not a ton of mucous or post nasal drip, just a consistent deep blockage. I can breathe through my nose, but sometimes its a little constricted.
- my nose will clear up during any kind of prolonged or intense exercise, or sex :)
- I know the obvious culprit here is dairy, but I can't say I notice a correlation in terms of dairy vs. non-dairy days and otherwise I would say I am VERY lactose tolerant (genetically northern european, experientially dairy just doesn't make me feel bad)...also again, the problem is not mucous production, but just a deep consistent blockage.
- I have tried a neti-pot, and loved it, but the relief was only temporary and the blockage would often return later in the day
- Doesn't really seem to change seasonally, either.
On a scale of 1-10 discomfort level, this is like a 3 maximum. I'm just curious because I've had it for most of my life.
*mostly paleo=occasional dairy consumption (cheese, milk), occasional to regular alcohol/beer consumption, and sporadic cheat days (i.e. pounding dominos thin crust with my friends on football sunday)...hahaha so maybe this isn't even 'mostly' paleo