I've been fairly strict paleo for a little over a year (though I eat commercial - i.e. non-grass-fed meats) with little to no dairy (butter, occasional cheese and 90% dark chocolate).
2 mornings ago, I woke up with a sharp pain at the junction of my jaw, cheekbone and ear (roughly corresponding to TMJ, as I googled), which has the following symptoms:
- Seems to be worst in the morning, gets better during the day
- Hurts while eating: yesterday needed a tylenol to get through brunch, though dinner was much easier, didn't need tylenol
- At this point, all jaw movement hurts: even hurts to swallow
- Location of the pain seems to be at that TMJ location or in the general area: i.e. slightly below right where my cheekbone meets my ear and jaw, and only on the right side of my face (left side has no symptoms at all)
- Temporarily in a very dry climate, have slightly scratchy throat/ congested nose, but snot is still clear/ white
- I've had extremely irregular sleep for the last 4 weeks, and especially the last 1 week. Sleeping between 4-6 am, waking up 4-7 hours later, occasional afternoon naps
- The pain is on the right side, which is the side I was sleeping on when I woke up the first time it hurt
I'm travelling overseas, in India, where I've had mostly grilled chicken and veggies, though i cheated last night - had a half cup of fig ice-cream (first ice-cream since doing paleo). Also, the local food includes lots of paneer (a type of fresh cheese), which I've been eating. Going to eliminate both from my diet for the next few days, to see what happens.
I am going to see an ENT and dentist about it, but not excited about either option, due to my significantly enhanced skepticism of doctors since going paleo. Might also consider a chiropractor. Curious to hear if anyone on this forum has any thoughts on what seems to be a really weird problem?
Further health info: I'm a 30 yr old male, no medical issues, have been to a doctor only 4 times in the last 12 years (first two for infections, second 2 for sports injuries). No historic medical issues either. I'm in good shape, and haven't experienced anything like this before.