I have been on a pure Paleo for 3 months now, low carbing for years tho (lower carb than avg person) as I lost a lot of weight in my early 20's doing Atkins from 230lbs -> 180lbs. I am 27 now.
However over the years I have always yo-yod back to eating more grains.. 2 summers ago I was 175-180lbs my lowest last fall I weighed 205lbs now I am sitting at around 195 and even tho I am now a pure Paleo with <30g of carbs a day my weight is not budging anymore (2+ months no changes) no body comp changes either as no exercise. The tape measure is not showing any drops so I feel like I have officially stalled now.
I am 5"9 and if i was to estimate id say 20-22% bodyfat so I have lots to lose. I chalked up my stall to a few things:
- Maybe not enough sleep probably avg 6hrs a day.
- Dairy - I have since for last 2 weeks drastically reduced my dairy intake. Eliminated cheese for the most part, eliminated sour cream, eliminated creme freche and devon cream. Only cream I still use is a few tbsp of 35% whipping cream in my morning coffee (2-3 tbsp) some days its half and half but not so much lately
- No exercise.. (though I do play european football in a rec league once a week for an hr)
General Food Staples:
- 4-5 Slices low sodium bacon
- 2-4 Omega Eggs, free run if possible also
- 16oz coffee with cream (35%, 18% or H&H) sometimes with cinammon
- Avocado a day
- Smoked Salmon, or Wild Salmon, sometimes tinned low sodium wild salmon
- Dairyfree/Sugarfree/Wheat free sausages and hamburgers from
local healthy butcher from animals
raised without hormones and on
- Other meats from organic butcher once in a while: ground beef, steaks, lamb, chicken
- Non organic meats: rotisserie chicken (sometimes hormone free), steaks, chicken breasts etc
- Frozen cauliflower/broccoli in freezer that I steam
- Asparagus, Mushrooms, Onion, Peppers (green and sometimes red), tomatoes
- Ghee to cook with and oddly enough eat with Raw Almonds.
- 90% Lindtt Dark Chocolate (only 2 carbs per 3 cubes)
- Coconut Oil, either alone, over veggies or in green tea
- Home made ice tea just using green tazo tea and white blueberry tea to steep then cool in fridge over night to increase water consumption
Note I dont eat all that in a day but my day to day foods would could from that list, tho breakfast daily is nearly always bacon+eggs.
So I just started weight training last night, woke up this morning a little sore but is to be expected as its been a while (DOMS). I am doing a 5x5 twice a week approach focusing on core exercises: Bench press, Pull down, Shoulder press, Seated Row, Squat/Leg Press. I plan to do this twice a week with 2-3 days of rest between.
I did this last night took me an hour. One thing about the 5x5 is that I found it hard to complete the reps on the later sets and my body was feeling sore but not exhausted like I do usually on a 3x10 program (done those last year)... is this normal? I woke up slightly sore but not crazily so hoping this extra activity helps move the stall... I wear a HRM my cals for the hour was 550, avg HR was 115, max 157.
Also I live in an apartment building and last year trained for a stair climb of the CN Tower I was climbing 20 stories 5-10x a day for 2 months and managed to do the climb in 20 mins, I loved it. However when I do stairclimb my HRM shows my avg at about 170, max of 190 and what I have read re low carb is that anaerobic is bad for weight loss.
So what I hope to do is get 7 hours of sleep a day (+1) and weight train twice a week, stair climb for 30 mins once a week, and play rec league football once a week. Is this too much?
I just really want to get my weight down to around 170 where I think I will be happy and then maintain my paleo lifestyle.
Any input would be appreciated, thanks!