How can I or how should I raise my insulin levels PWO to reap the benefits of the insulin spike so as to cause muscle growth without putting on weight? Any thoughts? And what is the best PALEO way to cause such a spike PWO? Also as it relates to insulin spikes from sugar, how much is too much? For instance, lets just say sugar(yes I know sugar is forbidden but everyone knows what it is)...how many grams of sugar would it take to cause a spike?
I think the best grey-area answer is dairy. Even Robb Wolf does dairy cycles periodically when he's trying to bulk up. Diary promotes muscle growth like crazy.
You don't want to use sugar at all because the fructose portion of it doesn't elicit an insulin response and causes metabolic derangement.
If you consume starch in proportion to the amount of glycogen that you deplete with your workouts (and with the normal functioning of your CNS for that matter) you will simply replete those stores and increase the insulin area under the curve.
Potatoes, sweet potatoes and rice are what I use.
You should be able to safely consume 150g of starch carbs on a sedentary day and double that on a lifting day. I started to eat tubers or rice with every meal in substantial quantities and have been losing fat the whole time.
I don't have concrete numbers relating to the insulin spike, but I know that most of the body builders on leangains.com eat about a pound of meat and a pound of starchy carbs PWO. Fitday says that 1 lb. of cooked sweet potato or white potato is about 90-120g absorbed carbs. I've been doing the leangains protocol, eating that volume of carb load 3x/week after workouts and doing normal low-carb Paleo on rest days. In ~6 weeks, I haven't gained any noticeable fat, but I've gained several pounds of muscle (presumably). For me and the leangains people, it seems that that amount of carbs PWO keeps the insulin response fairly low (hence, I have gained little to no fat despite my increased caloric intake while trying to build muscle), but high enough to fuel muscle protein synthesis (hence my gains sans fat) and replenish glycogen (hence my continued gains and high energy level).
EDIT: I should probably add that eating fruit or syrup or other sucrose-y and fructose-y carb sources is counterproductive. Fructose is, essentially, a liver toxin. It mostly feeds into de novo lipogenesis and does nothing to restore glycogen stores -- a fat-creating, recovery-irrelevant double-whammy. Furthermore, fructose doesn't elicit an insulin response and just about 100% of it will enter the liver, much of it going through de novo lipogenesis. On the other hand, only about 20% of the glucose will enter the liver, and it will cause an insulin response that will pump the remaining 80% or so into your other cells, muscles included.
How do you like dates? 19 Answers
New "Corn Sugar" Commercials 5 Answers