I use coconut oil to cook with (in addition to other fats)and I don't think I have any negative affects. I make my own toothpaste (coconut oil + baking soda). All is fine and dandy until I put coconut on my face as a moisturizer.
My face gets flushed and feels like I have some sort of reaction to it. I don't blister or anything but it doesn't feel right. Thus, I don't use it on my face (I know ... a novel idea.) I have always had sensitive skin. I only clean my face with water and the occasional castile soap or baking soda if I get paint on me from work. But it's only when I have tried the coconut oil I have a reaction.
Does this mean I'm just 'sensitive' to coconut oil? But 'not' allergic? Should I stop using coconut oil for a while (e. g. not eating it, toothpaste)? And if so, what changes should I look for to know if I am having alleviation of any symptoms?
While I think it is unlikely I have a full-fledged allergy, which I've read is rare. I'd love to hear y'all's thoughts and comments. Thank you in advance.
Any human can become allergic to anything, at any time, not just the most common allergies. In my opinion, if it irritates your face, it may irritate your intestines or other body components. I don't think I'd ingest anything that gave me a skin reaction for that reason.
Yes, coconut is known to be a possible allergen. Coconut oil would be even tougher than coconut as it is pretty much all fat (usually it is proteins that cause allergy).
Here is a general thing on coconut oil: http://foodallergies.about.com/od/nutallergies/f/coconutallergy.htm
It is rare, but not beyond the realm of possibility. Putting it on your face is probably the highest exposure you could possibly get, although maybe being that oily could have also been a bother. Testing would tell you, that is what I would do in that situation.
I know that I break out in horrible cysts if I get CO anywhere near my face. I can eat it, slather it on my body and my hair and it's fabulous but on my face it's a disaster.
I tend to think that facial skin is particularly sensitive in some and don't think that a reaction on the face is necessarily indicative of a systemic problem. Have you used it on the skin of your body without problems? If not I would try that to see if you have the same reaction. My hunch is that you will not.
I cannot stress enough if you are allergic to something, DO NOT USE ANYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH IT. I have a coconut allergy, so why would I want to use coconut oil, water or any other product related to it? You also have to look at the other food products that have coconut in them. RE: chocolate, oatmeal cookies, and the list goes on. Coconut is a cheap filler as well as giving food that "nutty" flavor. So I do not eat much chocolate and I read every single label. I like being able to breathe and not having to stab my leg with an Epi pen on the way to the Emergency Room. With any allergy you have the potential to have Angioedema,,,, this is DEADLY and can KILL you. With angioedema you only have a short window of getting to a medical facility.... DO NOT FOOL AROUND WITH YOUR LIVES.
I wouldn't stop eating it simply because it troubles your skin. If you feel fine when you eat it, go with that.
An allergy happens when our immune system starts to attack a substance as if it were a microbial invader. If your skin reaction was due to an allergy, then your body would react any time coconut entered your system. Now coconut oil may get broken down in your gut, and thus none of it enters your bloodstream intact, but surely if you were allergic your mouth and lips would have a reaction as well.
Okay well, I'm 15 years old and I've been trying my best to get over mono and get back to school. My mom put some virgin coconut oil in my tea, and according to the woman at the market who sold it to her, its not usually an allergy type thing. About 2 hours after I had finished one small glass of hot tea and A TEASPOON of coconut oil, my entire body began to breakout in hives. I've never been allergic to anything before in my life, and waas quite frightened. I've been trying to find some answers online but so far I haven't found anything that's actually helping me. I'm tired of taking medicine. I'm tired of having mono. And I'm tired of being tired. I really wish someone could help me, please?
I had an allergic reaction to coconut oil yesterday. I didn't break out on my skin, but after an hour massage with coconut oil, I started to vomit and had the runs all night. I also had a delirious fever. I eventually saw the doctor this morning and had a nausa shot to calm it down.
I knew I had an allergy to highly concentrated coconut after drinking Malibu rum when I was 19. Unfortunately, yesterday when they massaged me, I wasn't aware that they were using pure coconut oil. I won't be getting anymore massages and I definitely will be checking EVERYTHING for concentrated coconut in future. I never want to feel like that again. I'm just lucky that all I had was fever, vomiting and diarrhea and that the bloody stuff didn't kill me!
I had exactly the same prolem as the above poster! I used coconut oil as eyemakeup remover in the summer, and got the worst case of "pink eye" ever! I too, thought that this happened because I got a mosquito bite on my eyelid right before the problems started, but after reading this I am thinking I could have a sensitivity to coconut oil. Very disappointing, as I have heard so many good things about CO.
What are the best brands of coconut oil? 25 Answers
Coconut oil and swollen lips? 3 Answers
Hack my itchiness 6 Answers
Coconut oil as moisturiser 6 Answers