I'd like suggestions for cooking oils that are healthy,
I used olive oil in the past but after coming across articles regarding mixing of oils by the mafia (http://www.foodrenegade.com/your-extravirgin-olive-oil-fake/), I've been avoiding it.
Since then, I've been using organic butter. It has worked very well. I am allergic to dairy (milk, cream, cheeses give me depression, brain fog, anxiety, and sometimes rashes).
The reason I kept butter in my diet was because I'm doing keto and I read that most of the milk solids (proteins and all - the reasons for the reactions) are removed from butter. It's essentially milk fat.
The effects I listed above are not present when I eat butter. Or so I thought?
I'm starting to feel different mentally after consuming it. Similar mental effects (brain fog especially), but less severe compared to milk and cream. Could I be becoming full on sensitive to all dairy products? I'm going to be cutting all dairy it out totally to see how I feel. This includes clarified butter as well.
This narrows down my choices even more.
I've tried cooking with coconut oil and the taste doesn't work for me.
So, I'd love some suggestions on other things I can use. Oils high in saturated fat that are somewhat affordable, too.
Rather than abandon olive oil out of fear I would suggest doing the modicum of research required to find a brand you both like and trust. Depending on where you live you could do domestic/local (i.e. if you live in California). If you're just looking for a halfway decent, day-to-day, oil then there are a hand full of large commercial brands with a good reputation. Kirkland EVOO from Coscto has a good reputation due to a number of studies (I believe done at UC Davis) ranking it as 'legit'.
If the article you linked is accurate then 70% of olive oil brands are adulterated, leaving 30% as potential providers. It'd be nice if the numbers were flipped, but it is far from a Herculean task to find one of those 30%. In fact, this is the golden case study of free market idealists. If the market (READ: you) truly values unadulterated olive oil, then it will do its research and vote with its dollars. The market then self regulates and soon only the 'pure' brands can afford to do business.
go to a butcher (preferably one who sells grass fed/pastured animal parts, but it doesn't have to be) and see what price you can get suet/beef fat for. If you get that, look up the tallow recipe on Paul jaminets website. For me, a litre of home rendered grass fed tallow ends up costing a little over 3 bucks, as aposed to around 20 and up for olive oil, 20 to over 40 dollars for a litre of coconut oil, depending on quality, and almost 15 dollars for a litre of organic butter. Also, tallow has one of the best fatty acid profiles of any fat, with plenty of CLA, stearic acid, MUFAs, extremely little polyunsaturated fats with a good 6 to 3 ratio, also, it's got a smoke point of over 450 degrees.
California produced olive oils are great. My favorites are California Olive Ranch, and Napa Valley Organics. Very affordable for the quality you get. But don't cook with those, just use for drssing/finishing dishes.
Cooking: Ghee, refined coconut oil (if you don't like the taste of unrefined), Chosen Foods Avocado oil (high MUFA, totally neutral tasting, and high heat), red palm oil, tallow, lard, bacon fat! If you do cook your own tallow, lard, or save bacon fat, strain with a piece of flour sack towel in a mesh strainer, it'll come out nice and clean.
Sourcing Coconut Oil 14 Answers
Garlic oil for cooking? 5 Answers
Lurpak brand Ghee? 6 Answers