1) You spend a plurality, if not a majority of your surfing time on this site. This is significant statement given the amount of time you spend on other sites. You realize that possibly the only positive to the deep slumber of Kurt Harris is that you have more time here.
2) At work you constantly, yet inconspicuously, have a web browser opened with the site and hit F5 (on PC) repeatedly in between and during emails, calls, meetings, etc.
3) You curse the Neolithic Gods of Technology (Gates, Jobs, Chambers, et al) that in spite of having the most powerful computing power one can buy shy of a supercomputer, the screen does not refresh fast enough. You hope Patrik bought the high-availability hosting plan since you are hitting site more frequently than a Chinese cyber attack on the DOD
4) You used to hate the non value-added meetings you would attend as a waste of time. Now you relish them because it is a prime opportunity to do some serious Q&A on PH. Co-workers ignorantly admire your multi-tasking abilities.
5) It’s 9 PM, you just put your daughter to sleep, and decide that you will spend just a few minutes catching up on the latest posts. 4 hours later it is 1 AM and you have to be up in 5 hours with your kid and to get ready for work. You do the sensible thing – spend ANOTHER hour researching about cortisol and sleep deprivation
6) You are at dinner in a restaurant with your wife and friends. You excuse yourself to go to the bathroom…to check the site from your iPhone. After a short while, you do it again. When you return, your friend asks if you are ok. You do the honorable thing – lie and tell them you have a weak bladder. Meanwhile the look your wife gives you tells you just wasted $50 on that bottle of wine because it’s not going to get you anywhere tonight.
7) You ask a question and then refresh, refresh, refresh, ad infinitum…then finally an answer, no wait…an upvote. Rinse, lather, repeat…
8) You answer a question – see previous point
9) You wake up at 3 AM and need to pee. First things first, you go to your den, quickly check your account…dammit no changes…and then relieve yourself. But before you go back to bed, one more screen refresh just in case
10) Finally – you wish the above items were just you being funny, but EVERY one of them is reality and not fiction! I am really serious these are true stories!
I have more but enough already!!! Need to check into rehab stat!!!
So what about you, are you an addict and if so, how does your addiction manifest itself?
EDIT for BaconB - macronutrient, adrenal. Plus bonus - leptin resistance. Oh no he di'nt!