This is my first post here.
I had been close to Paleo for a long time last year before I ever heard about the diet. I was doing it more for reasons of Candida/yeast/psoriasis/etc reasons. I have always ate generally pretty consciously but looking back now I certainly was always binging on carbs in one form or another.
After a bout in the hospital for quinsy (and an intensive antibiotic treatment) I broke out in head-to-toe psoriasis (assuming from the nasty antibiotics). I talked to a dermatologist about it, simply to confirm it's origin. When I proclaimed that I avoid medicines and that I was intending on healing my psoriasis with diet he thought I was a madman.
Anyhow, I followed a well-planned diet that, looking back, closely resembled Paleo and I was able to rid myself of 99% of the psoriasis. Of course, at that point, I drifted back into breads, sandwiches, etc.
Fast-forward to today. After flopping back and forth with the Paleo thing for quite some time now I have finally cut out all gluten, grains, sugars, etc. All was going well the first 2-3 days until I got hit like a ton of bricks with, what I am now learning is, carb flu. My problem though is that it's intense. Perhaps abnormally so. I wanted to ask your opinions to see what I can do to at least ease the symptoms.
I know this is a bad way to describe it, but it's like the beginning stages of when you ingest psychedelic mushrooms. The stage where you have IMMENSE brain-fog and when you go to talk, you feel as though someone else is doing the talking. I can not think at all straight, I am losing all vocabulary and reasoning skills. I am TIRED. It's unreal. Like I am on my deathbed or something. I feel like my limbs weigh hundreds of kilos each! I also feel that feeling you get after your first glass of wine - you know, where you move your head and the picture is slightly delayed. It's unbearable feeling like this all day. Also, my sexdrive has been shot to hell (the ladyfriend is not so pleased about this).
Luckily for me I have never much cared for sugar crap like sodas, candies, etc so I have NO problem not "cheating". I also may have been a heavy carb eater in the past but for at least the past 8-9 years, minus one or two ultrarare occasions, I have always avoided prepackaged, processed "junk". I just need to adjust since I think I went too hardcore in the opposite direction too quickly.
Here is the breakdown:
- I bike/walk everywhere, everyday, rain/shine/snow/sleet/etc. This is my only mode of transit so there's never a time where I am not on my bike/feet unless I literally don't leave my house - which is rare.
- I live in Berlin. This summer has been impossibly cold and lacking sunshine (worse than usual). I can only imagine I am Vitamin D deficient.
- I work on a computer, indoors. This is usually 5x per week.
- The psoriasis/skin issues ARE genetic however I believe that they can be marginalized. Working in doors and crappy weather doesn't help. Also, I am sure I have leaky-gut syndrome and a systemic fungal issue. They are always better with proper diet and sunshine.
- Typically 2-3 eggs in the morning (usually fried with yolks uncooked) cooked in either coconut oil or pig lard, along with possibly bacon, lamb, or sheep.
- I was, until very recently, eating yogurt. Organic of course but it was still pasteurized. I have decided to give up dairy until my raw milk order comes in next Friday in which I intend to make yogurt and butter.
- For lunch, usually Mark's "Big Ass Salad" with chicken or some ground beef or steak with some stir-fry.
- Dinner is a toss-up. Lately it's been wild boar, beef, and/or some fatty fish like mackerel or sardines. I'll also do salmon when I can get wild-caught.
- Snacks sometimes included in season berries (right now blue berries) and/or grapes. I was eating a grapefruit every morning but that has stopped recently, too.
As of today, since I have been feeling literally like death, I have incorporated steamed sweet potatoes into my routine along with 1-2x daily bone broth (I'll steam my veggies on bone broth also and drink it after). I also picked up some more leafy greens like spinach.
I am trying to be conscious about my fat intake, but as we are all aware, after so many years of being told the opposite it's rather hard to get into the routine. I cook with coconut oil or lard, I'll sometimes smother my veggies in butter, I am trying to straight-up eat coconut oil. I WAS taking flaxseed oil but read too many negative things so I am only reserving that for salads with olive oil.
I just don't understand. It's also VERY possible that I am simply not eating enough but I feel like I am. I can not stress enough how hard I am being hit with "low carb flu". It's starting to worry me as I can barely function day to day.
Also, side-note. I am getting easily 9+ hours of sleep per night. Perhaps my sleep schedule is a part of the problem. I go to bed around midnight and sleep until 10am or so.
Any thoughts, suggestions, help, etc is more than welcome. This is a wonderful community and I am pleased to be a part of it now. I just need to work past this horrific stage.
ADDED I should also mention that I am one of the impossibly skinny, eat anything, kind of guys. I 28 years old, weigh around 128lbs/58kg and am 5'10"/178cm tall. So this is definitely not about weight loss, if anything, I would be happy with some "good" weight gain.
UPDATE After a visit to my doctor all of my levels look great. Liver, kidney and thyroid were perfect as well as vitamin levels. It turns out though that I have EXTREMELY low blood pressure. This makes perfect sense to the symtoms I have been experiencing. Also, this runs in my family (Mother has the same). I am now focusing on fluid intake and veg-based carbs (sweet potatoes) along with my current setup. I can't remember the exact number but I believe he said 80/62 which is just far too low.