I think I'm allergic to molds and mildews. I can smell them (like a musty used book store or an old castle) and then I can't. Rather quickly, my sense of smell just fades away, it lasts for days and my sinuses feel a little stuffy. After 4 or 5 days away from the allergen my sense of smell starts to return. I've never been tested and I don't fight it with antihistamines, just at the first whiff of "that" odor I head the other way. That's my little n=1, for what it's worth.
I teste positive for mold. Lots and lots of foods caused issues : bread, bananas, ... As I had a vitamin D deficiency, I did some research. Those three articles were quite important for me (I've always had problems with polyps and I had atopic dermatitis) :
I noticed recently that when supplementing retinol my atopic dermatitis flairs up, but I'm not 100% sure if it's the retinol yet (it could be a very strong reaction to soy, since the supplement had soybean oil).
If you don't know what atopic dermatitis is, this picture explains it quite well :
Basically you get a flushed face, rashes on your elbows and ankles... Using apple cider vinegar immediately calms it down within 30 minutes for me.
The first thing I found about mold allergies was this article by a holistic mother who has a son with a mold allergy. Her findings are the same as mine, though she says her son doesn't tolerate saturated fat well. I don't think she understood it : I believe she tried out butter but the casein might have caused problems. Coconut oil works amazingly well for me. Oh what would I be without coconut oil...
What I find interesting is that she mentions cayenne pepper : it causes a runny nose for me but that's great!
Then she mentions this :
My son's health issues came on the heels of a month long course of antibiotics for a chronic sinusitis.
It's amazing how her story is literally the same as mine : I also had a chronic sinusitis last year (still not gone after months of paleo, but I can now finally live with it) and was treated with antibiotics.
My sinus problems were almost gone, but suddenly, in september, they came back. Was it my zero carb experiment? Is it the sun? Is it the stress from school. Whatever it was/is, stress plays a big role : when I'm angry or have a lot of work (eg. exams), I get bad sinus aches.
Currently I'm experimenting with bone broth. I believe it could be a cure for my problems. I'm also gonna try out Bio-Kult, epsom salt baths and Mark Sisson's advanced health formula. I could experiment with minerals one by one, but I'm short on time & money right now.
Dr. Shoemaker is one of the best authorities on dealing with mold. You can find lots of info on his website http://www.survivingmold.com/ His books Mold Warriors and Surviving Mold are amazing resources.
I've never been tested. Some molds makes me sneezy/congested, and damp (moldy) places make me depressed and foggy (+ more?). I avoid places like that now, but man, i've lived in some musty places a few times in my life and can't remember feeling worse. Like, really sick and depressed. I didn't correlate it at the time, it's only now that i've cleaned up my diet and have learned more, that the pattern is clear. Of course there were confounding factors.. but there's still a strong correlation to some of my darkest days with flooding basements, moldy bathrooms, and endless rainy dampness (good-bye forever, SF Bay Area!). Now I can usually sense when i'm in an environment that isn't healthy for me. Unspeakable fatigue sets in. Does this sound crazy? Oh well. I guess now I'm "one of those people". I don't really talk about it irl...
Also, i can't eat moldy cheese anymore; not sure if it's the mold or the yeast or histamines or what...
can we call it mycotoxin sensitivity? I'm gonna go with that for now.
Sorry no answer, just boring ol' n=1.