Hi, just wondering what the protocol on Slug-eating is? There are many huge ones crawling around my property and I might avail myself of them(raw or cooked) if they are edible. I realize there are many types of slugs so maybe a description can help(I dopn't know the classification/genus/species, etc.): Longer than a pointer finger, approx. 1-2" diameter; dark brown-black upper belly with feelers and an orangish ridge around where they make contact with surfaces(underbelly). ANy ideas on whether these are poisonous/edible?
I don't mean to be a slug-eating party pooper, but it would be irresponsible to simply advocate chomping them down because they are wild, local, and arguably "slow" food.
Case in point, this Australian man who contracted meningitis and almost died from eating a couple of slugs on a dare (http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/health/HealthRepublish_969551.htm)
The cause of his condition was the parasitic nematode angiostrongylus cantonensis which also lives in the GI tract of other mollusks like land snails and freshwater snails.
The parasite may be killed by high heat cooking, but the cost/benefit ratio might not be there. I can't imagine them being so delicious that it is worth the risk.
I don't know if this adds to or detracts from their edibility in your mind, but the slime has an anesthetic quality. Supposedly, a Native American cure for a toothache was to put a slug against the offending tooth.
Holy hell those are huge slugs. I've never seen anything like that... and I live in a forest pretty much. Go for it! The comment about parasites is a definite concern but if they are that big you could still cook them. And there is always that belief that modern sapiens are so susceptible to parasites as are never exposed to them.