If you could fund one scientific study what would it be? What type of study do you expect to yield the most useful results?
The paleolithic diet provides health benefits and increases longevity compared to USDA dietary guidelines diet.
Human nutrition researchers are increasingly exploring the role evolution has played in the development of modern human physiology and are becoming aware of various nutritionally related disorders in Western societies that are not observed in a number of modern hunter-gatherer populations
This was a clinically controlled study, where the food intake by the participants was monitored at all times. Two groups of volunteers participated in the study. The "USDA" group was fed the diet recommended by the USDA - 6 portions of grains per day, blah blah. The "Paleo" group was fed according to the principles of the paleo diet - absolutely no food was used that was not available to Homo Sapiens 20,000 years ago or earlier. The study was conducted over the duration of 70 years. All other conditions were strictly the same for both groups.
Only 52% of the "USDA" group completed the study. The remaining 48% have died from the following causes: Chronic heart disease, 22%. Diabetes: 12%. Other causes: 14%. Of the "Paleo" group, 95% completed the study, all of them in good health. The remaining 5% have died from the following causes: quietly in their sleep, 5%
The Paleo diet was determined to be 2134% superior to the USDA recommended died (alpha 0.05, beta 0.1).
The New USDA Dietary Guidelines: Total Hogwash
This does not count towards my GPA, so I'll skip this section.
I have tonnes of ideas for studies, my dream would be to have my own food company selling traditional foods in order to fund nutrition research.
I could go on and on, I get about 3 ideas for studies a day, I work in research but unfortunately not qualified to be a PI yet.
What a great question. I want to conduct a study on paleo-raised vs SAD-raised children. It is astounding how many people deal with disorders that seem to be preventable by living thoughtfully and responsibly. The number of people who pop pills for mood/anxiety/learning disorders still shocks me every time I think about it. I work in mental health (Autism mostly), and after reading Primal Body, Primal Mind by Nora Gedgaudus, I am so cued in to this topic. I would hypothesize that significantly fewer cases of developmental disorders, mood disorders and mental disorders (and disease in general OF COURSE) would occur in the paleo group than in the SAD group. I would also like track the lineage data in this study- parents' diets. Since what we put in and on our bodies affects how our genes are expressed, this should yield interesting results too.
This concept is just common sense and simple, but I am interested to get these solid numbers. Something similar may be out there that I haven't found yet.. Of course, my future kid will be my own case study, but I know it will be too hard to remain objective and unbiased. :)
great question! i am actually about to start my grad degree in nutrition and want to focus my thesis on some aspect of the paleo diet. i am very curious to see how people answer this question!
I know Gary Taubes already hit it up in GCBC but I would love to see a study that definitively researched the link between cholesterol and heart disease. It would be an official N=1 Fat=Good for the entire US. No more explaining how I stay fit on a high fat diet.
I would be interested in the effect of food on alzeimer's, ADHD and autism, hyperactivity in children, depression...anything that has to do with the gut/brain connection.
If I had billions of dollars I would pay for it. As it stands now I can donate about $25. Who else can chip in?
Are Animal Studies That Bad? 6 Answers
What's the value of epidemiology? 3 Answers