Yep 80%. So are you strict paleo or sisson-esque primal? well based on a poll that I asked paleo people on google plus, twitter, robbwolf forum and MDA forum it appears that most people are walking down the more dairy tolerant path of Mark Sisson. 83 responded. 69 include Dairy in their diet.
- Strict auto immune protocol diets garnered just 2 respondents,
- Next the most surprising for me was only 8 out of 83 - just 10% follow the grain, dairy, legume free - 'classical' paleo protocol.
- The biggest group 43% - no grains, no legumes but "dairy is in the mix" crowd, The middle of the bell curve is here!.
- Next was my group, some grains (i.e rice, maybe corn) and dairy - no legumes - 28%
- The not so strict follower with a bit of grains, dairy and legumes were about the same as the strict paleo protocol folk at the other end of the bell, at about 8%. Which is curious.
- If you don't eat dairy, that also means you almost probably don't eat grains or legumes either. dairy is at the crux for many people it seems.
- Three SAD people (or absolute beginners to the paleo world) were also on board with the survey.
My rough conclusion:
No grains, dairy, legumes are at one end the bell curve in the minority, dairy is in the middle of bell curve along with the rice every now and again crowd and those who dabble in all three G,D&L are at the other end of the bell curve.
So hack my survey* results! are they totally skewed and rubbish? or is dairy really such a big player? One thing I think about is: how pure is the dairy source for most people? is it the grassfed raw kind, or are people just making do with conventional dairy due to cost and access issues?
I predict the dairy will be the next big thing to really go under the microscope in the paleosphere, the carbs and fats have been well prodded and debated. Dairy is next for the fine tooth comb....or maybe not.
*my poll was non scientific and relied on the honesty of respondents - but hey, we are honest people in the paleo word, aren't we?