1) Name: Magnesium
1a) Which form or format:
Magnesium Citrate, Magnesium Oil (Magnesium Chloride Brine), Magnesium Flakes (Magnesium Chloride), Magnesium Taurate, Angstrom Magnesium, Magnesium Malate, Epsom Salts
1b) Typical cost: $3-40
2) Why anyone would want to take it?
Our soils once had abundant magnesium that was picked up by whatever we grew in it. Due to commercial farming, and limited soil inputs, the levels started declining dramatically in the early/mid 1900's. Proposals for supplementation were actually made to the US congress in the 1930's because of the "expanding waistlines" of the US population related to magnesium deficiency (Ha! We thought it was bad then!). The vast majority of us are deficient in magnesium unless it is intentionally supplemented.
Magnesium is necessary for 325 enzymatic functions in the body, aids in insulin sensitivity, is required to keep our bones strong and flexible, keeps our arteries and soft tissue free from calcification by blocking excess calcium from gathering where it ought not be, reduces our chance of muscle spasms (including heart attack), treats restless leg syndrome, treats migraines, helpful for fibromyalgia, improves and prevents mitral valve prolapse, prevents and treats pre-eclampsia, for 80% of people works as a sleep aid when taken at bedtime (the remaining 20% can experience a paradoxical stimulating effect), important for mental health and well being (helps with anxiety and depression), helpful in treating asthma, and reduces our chance of oxalate kidney stones.
2a) Dosage amount.
The RDA is 300-400mg., but what is needed for optimal health is closer to double that for adults.
May be problematic with caesarean section.
May interfere with absorption of antibiotics, ACE inhibitors H2 blockers. Take 2 hours after.
May make oragl hypoglycemics more effective when used, increasing the risk of hypoglycemia
4) Link to site that sells it
5) Side effects
Taken orally many forms of magnesium can have a laxative effect, there is no point in taking more than bowel tolerance allows for, or you will be flushing your supplement down the toilet, literally. People with impaired kidney function should always work closely with a doctor if they choose to supplement with magnesium. Can also have an antacid effect, and reduce stomach acid to the point of disturbing digestion, should be taken away from meals. Magnesium Citrate has been associated with vivid and sometimes disturbing dreams. Magnesium Oil when applied to the skin can itch, but the itching is harmless (under the arms and feet seem to be the least itchy places). Several forms of chelated magnesium like magnesium aspartate can cause a worsening of depressive symptoms.
For best results make sure calcium to magnesium ratio is 2:1 to 1:1 in the diet.
Most oral forms of magnesium require good digestive juices to be broken down, Angstrom Magnesium is absorbed straight into the blood stream sublingually, and is recommended for people with weak digestion.
Epsom Salts and Magnesium Chloride Flakes both are readily absorbed into the body when added to bathwater, also good for a post workout soak to prevent sore muscles.
7) Non-Supplement Sources
Leafy greens, halibut, pumpkin seeds, and seaweed are particularly rich in magnesium. Mineral water and "hard water" are also good sources. Also absorbed through the skin when swimming in the ocean.
For more Paleo hacks: http://paleohacks.com/questions/65801/the-ultimate-supplemental-paleohacks-thread#ixzz1YZumbDEY