I have enjoyed reading all the different versions of Paleo, Paleo-hackers adhere to.
Zero Carb, Low Carb, High Starch, No (Yes) Fruits, No (Yes) Nuts, No (Yes) Dairy, IFing...
I think a great resource for new Paleo hackers would be a thread where some of us share our own stories, goals, history, and what version of paleo has worked for us. New Paleo hackers could find someone with the same age/gender/weight goals and use their experiments and experience to guide their own self-experimentation.
This is the format for questions I was thinking:
1) How old are you? Male/Female.
2) Goals: weight goals (Lose fat and weight, lose fat and maintain weight, maintain muscle/weight, gain muscle/weight) and overall health goals...
3)What have you tried that didn't work? Other diets and different variations of Paleo.
4) What have you found that thus far works best for you?
There are thousands of factors that go into what will work for one person vs. another so feel free to add and change the questions you answer.
Here are my answers:
1) I am 21 years old. Male
2) Health Goal: Improve digestion and have stable energy levels throughout the day. Weight Goal: Maintain muscle/weight (possibly gain a little muscle)
3) I tried low fat. low carb mixed with low fat (horrible idea). Weston A Price reccomendations with soaked grains and legumes and raw milk. WAPF was an improvement over past diets but I did not maintain low BF %. Within Paleo I have also tried VLC and LC with lots of eggs, chicken, meats and vegetables.
4) As of now what is working best for me is a diet high in ruminants with animal fats (grass-fed beef: muscle meat, ground beef, organs, tallow, marrow) and starches (sweet potatoes, potatoes, squash...) and limited vegetables. Limited eggs and fruit. No dairy or nuts. I eat two large meals a day. I find I can maintain a healthy low BF% on this diet and have the most energy and best digestion when eating this way.
What has your experience been? Please share. :)