Since childhood, I knew that if I ate raw apples, my throat would shortly itch like crazy. I was allergic, although luckily not life threateningly so, but didn't why it only happened with raw apples, not cooked. I guessed that cooking must somehow alter the element that was causing the allergic reaction. But it was only today that I discovered the allergenic culprit. It was... dum dum dum dum... LECTINS! Yup, looks like fruit has some of those darned lectins too, although apparently they are usually significantly denatured by cooking.
And the itching and coughing I experience is apparently called oral allergy syndrome.
And why do I get this? Apparently it stems from an allergy to some lectins in, of all things, pollen! Friggin lectins are taking over the Earth it seems! Looks like if you develop an allergy to a pollen that happens to have a lectin very similar to a lectin in some fruits, then you may develop an immune reaction to the fruit as well. In my case, raw apple allergies are associated with birch tree allergies. I don't know if I am allergic to birch but it may be no coincidence that hoards of birch trees lined the street I lived on when I was growing up. This kind of cross over allergic response is called cross reactivity or cross reaction. CHeck out the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_allergy_syndrome
Any one else have oral allergy syndrome or cross reactivity with a pollen allergy?
(scroll down on the wiki for a list of cross reactive pollens/fruits)