Do you have a complaint about something paleo-related? I sure do. Spew it out--but if you're going to spew, spew into this! (thanks Garth)
Whole Foods- I used to shop at the discount-iest of the discount grocery stores before paleo. Now I shop at Whole Foods, and wonder why I can't afford to pay my alimony.
Chipotle- Why must you be so delicious yet cooked in soybean oil?
Nomenclature- Explaining to friends and strangers how you eat is a challenge. Paleo? Unprocessed? Ancestral? Paleo 2.6?
Too much science- Are my mitochondria okay with my nutrient flux? Should I care or just eat whole foods?
Grok- God love him, but Mark Sisson's Grok is not universally well-loved throughout the paleosphere.
Wheat in the ingredients list- First ingredient...looks paleo. Second and third...paleo. Hold on, contains wheat? Why??
Lack of sugar- Okay, you've drunk the paleo kool-aid. But come on...ice cream and cake taste amazing. Admit it. And now you can't have any. Neener neener neener.
Paleo Foodies- I love them and I hate them. Nicely prepared food is awesome. But listening to people talk about duck confit and sous vide ad nauseum is not as fun as it sounds. Take your Meyer Lemon-rind foam and shove it.
Paleohacks moderators- I never was a big fan. They delete your threads and don't tell you why. Then I became one, and started hating myself a little bit.
Leangains website- Such valuable information, but strangely slow to load. And why is everyone so ripped? It makes me feel like a bag of jello.
I loved knowing nothing about food except that you could eat it. Now I know that tomatoes, potatoes, and peppers are nightshades. I know dairy has casein and lactose, which are potentially problematic. That legumes and nuts have phytic acid and lectins. Fruit has a bad sugar called fructose. Coconut has saturated fat and is very high in salicylates. When meat is browned it creates a mallard reaction. Cookies have vegetable oils. Fish isn't fish, fish is a bunch of Omega 3 fatty acids, some protein and iodine. Egg whites could tear your gut apart. Sweet potatoes are high in oxalates. Lots of calcium is bad, not enough calcium is bad. Fat has 9 calories per gram. Protein and carbohydrates have 4. If I eat too much tortillas I might get pellagra. I need fiber, fiber is bad. Eating lots of meat might give me iron overload. Not eating enough and I might get anemia. Vegetables are good for you. Vegetables have a lot of toxins which are potentially bad for some individuals. Carbohydrates raise insulin, that's bad, no it's good.
The more I study and look into nutrition, the more fearful of food I become.
I eat ArcheAncestPaleo 3.3.0Beta Release: Mastodon and it's working totally fine. I have very few complaints. The UI is a little wonky though and sometimes the latest release deletes ice cream from my freezer randomly even when I set it to cheat mode. The starch override feature is quite nice though and allows me to buy some potatoes occasionally even though the interface warns me they are potentially hazardous.
Friend mode is very useful and allows nearby friends with Android phones to download a free 200 page explanation of how my diet works, which makes my life easier since I don't have to spend days explaining it on my own. I'm really glad they added that FatPlus+ system to core this time so it's easier to eat more bacon without receiving fat overload messages. The new Guilt Modulation system1 is also somewhat useful and tells me every morning that I can eat an apple without acquiring diabetes. However, someone forgot to remove some old code, the Carb Guilt system, and it occasionally freezes the system when you try to eat the apples or potatoes.
Overall, I'm quite happy with the latest release, but I'm hoping they can clean up their code so the next release is a little less buggy.
Some users are talking about the FoodRewardAlpha system, which regulates your food intake based on "reward value," but many users think it's bogus and claim it doesn't work with the Carb Guilt add-on that was taken out of core recently, but remains very popular. Personally, when I tried to install it I was very unhappy that it prevented me from using massive amounts of Tabasco sauce and pouring ghee all over everything, so I removed it.
14 different theories that tell you 95% of the same thing, but spending an exhausting amount of time and effort on what is in all likelihood an inconsequential 5% just so we can say we found OPTIMAL!....
My official complaints
'Paleo' police - They are here there and flipping everywhere! Even my friends and co-workers watch what I eat and say 'hey....that's not paleo" --- and i say to them bugger off!
Anonymous downvotes - I know that has been discussed here before, but it still gets me, what can I say, I'm human and I don't particularly like negative feedback - and anonymous negtive feedback is like a heckler in a dark crowd - just plain rude and unhelpful!
and EVERYTHING THAT KAMAL SAID! - man you nailed that right on the head for me!
Wandering around the grocery store in a daze. Because no matter what I get, there is something wrong with it.
I hope it's not hijacking this thread to say that I'm in no place to complain? The examples make me laugh, but I'll take 1000 inconveniences any day for the sake of something as precious as health going in a much better, less scary direction. I don't know how to put it exactly, but just standing back and looking at the big picture lately has put me in a state of constant gratitude.
Hmmm... Was I supposed to shove it in CW's face and eat the chicken skin or avoid it because it's full of omega-6?
Why again is this raw, pasture-raised, yogurt produced from Jersey cows fermented using traditional strains and tolerated well by my Swedish, lactose-producing, good lipid-level body bad for me? Was it the casein or Grok's inability to work an udder?
Being that I'm not type II diabetic or remotely pre-diabetic, why are my carbs restriced to one small sweet potato in the 1 hour immediately post-cross-fit workout window? Is it because I'm too pale to pass for Kitavan?
Oh, and should I avoid multivitamins and get all my nutrients from food or take a multivitamin because I can't get all my nutrients from modern foods?
Highly active guys with 6-packs telling the obese they should eat 65%+ calories from fat in order to get lean.
Podcasts- I hate them!
What's the point? Why spend an hour listening when you can read through a transcript in 5 minutes?
Paleo Health Improvements: Me not improving my health or helping my tummy problems after years on paleo, but reading how it changed people's lives! (Ok, wait..that might be my own jealousy issue..)
Paleohacks: Questions that have been answered over and over -the writer doesn't do their research. Responders that just want to respond -disregarding the question. For example: Question: Egg free breakfast ideas. Annoying Responder: Just eat eggs, I do. (Or even worse: Go without breakfast, fasting is good for you).
Liver: So good for you, so nasty. No Matter how you dress it up -screw the recipes, they don't work -Liver is Satans apple.
Eating Out Cheap: Miss it. Especially those darn breakfast burritos and horchata.
Steak: Its uncookable despite numerous hints/tips/proven methods. Mine always turns out tough and unedible.
The Coffee Controversy: So sick of it. Everyone gets at least one naughty.
My husband: eating SAD and using "Everything in Moderation" as his motto. Worst of all -I can't be his shining example of Paleo success because..See my first item!! Paleo hasn't done sh&*^ for me! (I am sticking with it for intellectual reasons and sheer stubbornness).
Five finger shoes: When the sole comes out, those things are a monster to get back in.
Boiled Eggs: The perfect food except they smell like death.
Whole Foods uncured bacon with sugar? 4 Answers