Are there any men here who have experienced profound improvements in mental clarity, libido, and general health when travelling outside the USA?
My husband finds the following to be consistently true:
- USA w/ crap diet - poor health
- USA w/ paleo diet - OK-to-good health
- Finland w/ crap diet - excellent health
His bloating disappears, his problem solving skills soar, and his libido goes from 1-2/week to 4-6/day! The change happens within a week of travelling back to his home country. Quite often his trips are emotionally/mentally stressful, so I don't believe there is a psychological component.
One theory is the fluoride that they DON'T put in the water. Fluoride aggravates the thyroid, something he does have problems with and which could explain all the symptoms. Unfortunately filtering out the fluoride in our water, avoiding fluoride toothpastes, and avoiding foods known to be high in fluoride (california wines, deboned chicken, etc) has not yet produced the same profound shift. It is possible we're still getting a source of it from somewhere, though. Damnably pernicious stuff.
Another theory is that the sauna's are just that awesome. :) We haven't been able to test this in the US, due to lack of access to a sauna.
These are the changes to his lifestyle/diet that happened in finland. I've marked with a * those that he's done in the states without a beneficial effect.
- *more frequent meals (we currently IF, with one meal a day in evenings)
- *grains and starches and sugar added back into his diet, so as not to refuse his mom's cooking. Finnish breads, fwiw, are much more about rye than wheat, but he did also eat wheat in the form of pastries
- daily steam sauna
- dealing with his parents :P
No changes in activity level, alcohol, or sleep, other than the usual jet lag.