What can be done, in addition to weight training, to prevent muscle atrophy?
- Weight training is 1st on the list, but feel free to share specific protocols & research related to that.
- I lose muscle very easily, see below for recent evidence of that, and the reason for this question.
- I'm a skinny-fat hardgainer (ectomorph?). Never seen my abs, yet the rest of my body is very lean.
- I lose muscle very easily & rapidly. The last few weeks are evidence to that:
- On January 13th I weight 68.5 kg (151 lbs).
- On January 14th I left for holiday in East Africa.
- Throughout that time I only had 1 weight training session in a make shift gym in Moshi, Tanzania.
- Mostly sitting (transport, dinner) and some hiking.
- Diet shifted to more carbs (mangos!) though on some days meat was plentiful
- Had travellers diarrhoea for 2 days which could contribute to some weight lose
- On February 1st (18 days later) I returned home. Now weigh 64.5 kg (142.2 lbs)!
- The lose was mostly from muscle. I don't have hard proof of that, but I am much weaker in the gym and my look did not improve at all (same belly fat).
- I've not been this light in many many years (before starting weight training).
- I've been actively weight training for a long time which has mostly just allowed me to keep what I had and add a little muscle.
- Max I've ever weighed is 72.5 kg last year. I lost some of that (in muscle) over Christmas & New Years holidays.
- These levels of weight fluctuation never happen during my normal working and training routine. Only when away from training (I get 36 days of vacation/holiday, plus public days, which all gets used).
- I've had 2 comments since returning like: "I didn't think you could lose any more weight". And not in a good way.