sauerkraut juice contains a lot of lactic acid, some salt and hopefully very dedicated bacteria strains. But whenever I drink a small cup of it, it punches my gut like it was fermented by chuck norris himself...
Does the body consider it toxic and wants to flush it out as fast as possible?
Or does the body want to make sure all the precious bacteria arrive unharmed at the colon?
The question is: shall I drink it anyway b/c it's worthwhile, or listen to my body and stop?
I made it at home, but it looked perfectly fine. No mold, quite sour, just as usual.
Get Free Paleo Recipes Instantly
It's classic 'die-off' (read Herxheimer reaction) from dead yeast and bacterial cells as they pass through the body. You're just killing off some critters, and as they die they release endotoxins which can make you feel ill. The gut reacts with diarrhoea, cramping and wind (gas)... it's not harmful. Just tail it back a bit and then increase over a few days- it'll soon die down. Elizabeth
Drinking anything salty in quantity has this effect. I can't fully remember why, but I think it has something to do with the salt drawing water out of your body through osmosis.
You may be sensitive to other components. You might try getting your probiotics in another form until things settle down.
If it is homemade then you may have some kind of gut pathogens that don't accept the sauerkraut. Do you have any kind of digestion problems?
Check with Paul of Perfecthealthdiet.com. He has been researching gut disbiosis, and may be able to provide some explanation.